RPG Maker Heaven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPG Maker Heaven

RPG Maker Forum since 2011. Make yourself a home.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Large

Hero - Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking Empty
PostSubject: Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking   Hero - Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:56 pm

ello everyone. I've been trying my hand at this, and it actually works *almost* as intended, save for a small lag that's killing it for me. Let me explain:

I want my hero to be carrying a torch in several maps. I created the charset for his walking stances holding the torch and it appears animated. However, when he's still, not moving, the fire won't be animated (I created a different charset for each one of the facing positions holding the torch with the fire animated), since RPG Maker 2k3 will freeze the hero sprite in the center frame so it looks he's just standing.

So, my workaround was to:

1. Create an invisible event in the map
2. Create a parallel process that tracks the hero's x and y coordinates, then moves the event described in point 1 to the coordinates.
3. That same parallel process then checks whether the hero is moving or not. If the hero is moving, the hero will take the "walking with a torch" charset sprite. If not, then it makes the hero sprite transparent, and changes the event's sprite (described in point 1) to standing still holding the torch, with fire animated. It properly accounts for facing direction and all that.

It works almost smoothly; however, when you keep walking in one direction and you release the arrow key, it "skips" to the resting position. Just slightly. But it looks choppy and I want to avoid that. Any ideas?

I can post a youtube video later if someone needs to see it actually happening.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Large
Large

PostSubject: Re: Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking   Hero - Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Uh, sorry, this was me but I forgot to login >.<
Back to top Go down
rgangsta
rgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking   Hero - Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:08 am

This is with RM 2k3? I don't have or never used it so I can't be of much help.
From using VX, there's a feature for sprites called "Walking Animation". It does exactly what you're describing.
Back to top Go down
Large
Large

PostSubject: Re: Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking   Hero - Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 8:27 pm

This is RM 2k3, yes. I know 2k3 has the Waking Animation for EVENTS, but not for hero sprites. Thus, my question. I partially found a workaround with battle animations, but the big problem is that the battle animations are layered on top of everything else; so, for example, if the hero walks under a tree canopy, the animation (Of a flame), is still displayed, breaking the illusion.
Back to top Go down
rgangsta
rgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking   Hero - Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 am

You can turn it on through Set Move Route. At least, that's what they call it in VX.
This is a screenshot of the event page in VX.
Spoiler:
And I misled you last time. I believe it's Stepping Animation, not Walking Animation.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking   Hero - Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking Empty

Back to top Go down

Animating the hero sprite while NOT walking

View previous topic View next topic Back to top